Swinford, is a bustling market town, situated along the main Castlebar-Dublin road (N5), on a tributary of the famous River Moy. The town being a pre-famine town has all the remainders of the devastation caused by the Great Famine (1846-49), including one of the best preserved mass famine graves in the country, where 564 victims of the famine were buried.
Swinford is renowned for its fishing waters in particular the Callow lakes which yield excellent brown trout. Pony trekking and nature walks are among the many activities on offer to the visitor. Within walking distance are a wealth of archaeological sites.